Re: [O] How to extract TODOs from date-tree

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] How to extract TODOs from date-tree
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 17:20:08 +0100

Jay Iyer <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,
> I have my Org files set up as date-trees containing a mix of notes,
> tasks and projects. I now have a need to generate a list of projects
> and tasks filed under specific date-tree or in a range of dates. Is it
> possible to get this listing from the date-trees if the entries
> themselves don't have date/time in timestamps or in properties
> settings? I couldn't find a solution in the archives. Please advise.
> Thank you.

what is a date tree? This:

,----
| *  <2014-10-28 Di>
`----

?

If the date-tree is the parent and has a timestamp, then the entries
are part of the contents of parent, and you can use this function to
map over the parents

,----[ C-h f org-element-map RET ]
| org-element-map is a compiled Lisp function in `org-element.el'.
|
| (org-element-map DATA TYPES FUN &optional INFO FIRST-MATCH
| NO-RECURSION WITH-AFFILIATED)
|
| Map a function on selected elements or objects. [...]
`----

and this to get their contents

,----[ C-h f org-element-contents RET ]
| org-element-contents is a compiled Lisp function in `org-element.el'.
|
| (org-element-contents ELEMENT)
|
| Extract contents from an ELEMENT.
`----

and then 'org-element-property' and 'org-element-put-property' to get
and set timestamp info from the parent and any other info from the child
entries.

--
cheers,
Thorsten