Re: [O] Org and ledger

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Org and ledger
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:56:51 -0700

Vikas Rawal <address@hidden> writes:

> I have started using ledger with Org, and would be interested in knowing
> experiences of other users.
>
> I see two sets of uses in combining Ledger with Org.
>
> 1. Record keeping of transactions: Org works with ledger mainly
> through babel. Has anyone considered the possibility of maintaining
> the records natively in Org, which could be exported to ledger?
> Keeping native ledger source blocks in Org does not seem to add much
> value as far as maintaining books is concerned. Some people have tried
> some basic expense recording in Org, but to my knowledge, these
> solutions do not talk to ledger.

I've certainly thought about it :)

I think the ideal solution for me would be org headings with
ledger-specific properties. So you could have date and payee properties
(defaulting to using the heading text and any timestamp present), and
then as many LEDGER_POSTING properties as you like. You could "export" a
subtree of postings to a real ledger file, and there would be an
export-and-archive command that would "permanently retire" a set of org
headings as a ledger file.

When keeping track of payments I need to make, or need to receive, the
duplication of data in my org and ledger files has always annoyed me.

I haven't actually done anything about it, though :)

> 2. Generating reports: Babel results do not use the standard Org table
> syntax. Given my limited knowledge of lisp, I am finding it difficult
> to programme customising these reports in Org. It would be of much
> benefit if other users could share how they customise ledger reports
> in Org. Some examples would be great.

Can't help here, sorry.