Re: [O] Previewing chemfig

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Previewing chemfig
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 01:23:51 +0100

Hello,

g"Garreau, Alexandre" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2014-11-02 at 22:48, John Kitchin wrote:
>> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>> Interestingly, this:
>> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{chemfig}
>> $\chemfig{A-B-[1]C-[3]-D-[7]E-[6]F}$
>> exports to pdf correctly, but the latex preview is not correct. All the
>> letters are jumbled on top of each other.
>
> Ok, I tested again, and found that actually any preview (even without
> chemfig) completely stops working when I add
> « #+LATEX_HEADER:\usepackage{chemfig} », even pure maths. I just get
> little shrinked transparent void rectangles.

To debug check you *Message* buffer.  You might see something like

   LaTeX errors in `*/tmp/orgtex1687lRq output*'. Use C-c ` to display.

Check the file, compile it, and check that everything works.  Compile it
to dvi and try to run dvipng on the file.

For me, dvipng is unhappy about chemfig since it seems to contain PS
elements.  If I do

    (setq org-latex-create-formula-image-program 'imagemagick)

everything works since it's converted to pdf rather than dvi.

(org-version) => "8.3beta".

> I’m on Debian Testing (Jessy) and hence use Org version 7.9.3f (GNU
> Emacs 24.3).

You might get better results with a recent version of Org.  If you
upgrade to Emacs 24.4 you should get Org 8.2.10, I think.

—Rasmus

--
And I faced endless streams of vendor-approved Ikea furniture. . .