Re: [O] [RFC] Change property drawer syntax

From: Christian Egli
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Change property drawer syntax
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 09:38:34 +0100

> Hello,
>
> Christian Egli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I see that it is too late now, but let me still note that the
>> taskjuggler exporter is quite liberal in what attribute values it allows
>> for exporting. I've never used it and I haven't ever seen anyone using
>> it, but in theory you could give a task a note or a journalentry which
>> spans multiple lines. This will no longer be possible with this
>> change.
>
> I'm not sure to understand what is a note or a journalentry which spans
> multiple lines. Could you give an example?

Speaking in taskjuggler syntax it would be as follows:

task alpha "Alpha Test" {
      effort 1w
      depends !!software
      allocate test, dev2
      note "Hopefully most bugs will be found and fixed here."
      journalentry 2002-03-01 "Contract with Peter not yet signed" {
        author boss
        alert red
        summary -8<-
          The paperwork is stuck with HR and I can't hunt it down.
        ->8-
        details -8<-
          If we don't get the contract closed within the next week,
          the start of the testing is at risk.
        ->8-
      }
    }

AFAIK the org-mode taskjuggler exporter was previously able to handle
this if given the following headline:

* task
    :PROPERTIES:
    :Effort:  1w
    :depends: software
    :allocate: test dev2
    :note: "Hopefully most bugs will be found and fixed here."
    :journalentry: 2002-03-01 "Contract with Peter not yet signed" {
        author boss
        alert red
        summary -8<-
          The paperwork is stuck with HR and I can't hunt it down.
        ->8-
        details -8<-
          If we don't get the contract closed within the next week,
          the start of the testing is at risk.
        ->8-
      }
    :END:

Oh, and btw: there can be more than one journalentry. So, given this
taskjuggler feature is not very often used and drawer machinery is not
really suited for this use case I suggest we just drop support for it.
Maybe the user can just squeeze the whole entry on one line interspersed
with \ns.

Thanks
Christian

--