Re: [O] patch to add new link type "infoi" that leverages Info-index com

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] patch to add new link type "infoi" that leverages Info-index command
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 19:41:18 +0100

Hello,

Richard Kim <address@hidden> writes:

> A patch is provided below which implements a new link type called "infoi"
> as a complement to "info" type that exist already.

Thanks for your patch.

> Why new link type?  Because info index is almost always finer grain
> than info nodes.  For example [[infoi:libc#close]] brings up not only
> "(libc)Opening and Closing Files" info node, but also place the cursor
> on the line that documents "open" function within the node.  Hence it
> is more useful to link function, variable and other names that are in
> the index.  Most info documents have very rich indexes.

OK. I would have preferred to merge both features into the same link
type, but I see no elegant syntax to distinguish between a node and an
index search.

> I am not familiar with org coding style, so I share this patch to
> present the idea rather than as a finished patch that can be checked
> in.  I assume that name changes and other changes will be needed prior
> to being acceptable for check in assuming that the idea is ok.

The idea is OK. Some comments follow.

> org-info.el: Add new link type "infoi" that looks up info file index.

No full stop at the end of the summary.

> * lisp/org-info.el (org-info-index-open): New function to implement
> new link type named "infoi".

"New function" is enough here.

You can describe the motivation behind the patch farther in the commit
message, after another blank line.

> +;;; info-index
> +
> +(org-add-link-type "infoi" 'org-info-index-open)
> +
> +(declare-function Info-index "info" (topic))
> +
> +(defun org-info-index-open (name)
> +  "Follow an Info file and look up index item specified by NAME."
> +  (if (or (string-match "\\(.*\\)[#:]:?\\(.*\\)" name)
> +          (string-match "\\(.*\\)" name))
> +      (let ((nodename (match-string 2 name)))
> +    (require 'info)
> +    (Info-find-node (match-string 1 name) "Top")
> +        (if nodename ; If there isn't a node, choose "Top"
> +            (Info-index nodename)))

Prefer `when' over one-armed `if'.

> +    (message "Could not open: %s" name)))

This introduce some code duplication in "org-info.el". Could you factor
it out?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou