Re: [O] Org and ledger

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: [O] Org and ledger
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 19:53:11 +0000

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> Thanks Alan for this. Ledger is something that I would dearly love to be
>> using, but I can't find a good tutorial [by which I mean, it works in
>> small steps which build on the previous steps]. I've looked at
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-04/msg00727.html
>> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/weaving-a-budget.html
>> http://hledger.org/step-by-step
>>
>> The last one looked the most promising until I tried "ledger add" which
>> replied -
>>
>> ledger add -f ~/.emacs.d/ledger/ledger.journal
>> Error: Unrecognized command 'add'
>>
>> So now I'm stumped!
>
> That last link is a tutorial for hledger, which actually isn't the same
> as normal ledger -- it's sort of "inspired by" ledger, but has different
> commands, as you discovered.
>
> Documentation for ledger is a little spotty. I've found the official
> docs to be better than anything else, though they still leave a little
> to be desired:
>
> http://www.ledger-cli.org/3.0/doc/ledger3.html#Ledger-Tutorial

Thanks Erik, that looks understandable and comprehensive, so I'll try
having a play with it over the weekend. And I reckon that I will be
keeping my own instruction docs which might be able to be used to setup
another tutorial later on, but lets try walking before running
though! :)

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.4.1.0