Re: [O] Extremely slow org-table operations

From: York Zhao
Subject: Re: [O] Extremely slow org-table operations
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 10:25:20 -0500

>> > I learned that the hard way when I had one table - four columns, three
>> > simple
>> > addition formulas with about 1,000 entries. It seemed an eternity before
>> > the
>> > addition was completed.
>>
>> I guess the "entries" here mean the table rows right? Please confirm.
>>
> You are correct; I should have said rows. In my file there were 1000 (+/-)
> rows and each row had up to three "entries", not including the description
> in the first row.
> For instance (without any formulas) in the following row I entered each
> amount in columns 2,3 & 4.
>
>     | this was a transaction | 100.00 | 200.00 | 300.00|
>
> So I considered this three entries. So actually there were 3,000 (+/-)
> entries.

OK, now I see. Charlie's problem is actually completed different from this
problem. So what Carsten Dominik mentioned doesn't apply. This is because in
Charlie's case there are 1000 rows in a table, whereas mine has only two rows.
Since my formula only calculates two rows, and calculating the table doesn't
involve data input from anywhere else, it really doesn't make sens that it has
to be slow.

Needlessly to say that `org-mode' is fantastic, but with this issue, I have to
say that `org-mode' is unhealthy. Therefore, I really hope this issue gets
addressed. Please let me know what I can do to help.

Thanks in advance,

York