Re: [O] Executing org shell blocks on remote machine over ssh

From: Myles English
Subject: Re: [O] Executing org shell blocks on remote machine over ssh
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 22:50:54 +0000

Hi Dave,

David Bjergaard writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm sorry if this has been covered before, I've been searching for a
> while and haven't found anything.
>
> I use org mode as a lab notebook.  I write org-src blocks to keep track
> of tasks I do at the command line, and then I copy paste them into the
> terminal.  I would really like to hit "C-c C-c" on the source block and
> have it executed on the remote machine.  I know that you can specify
> the remote machine according to [1], however the software I use requires
> a fairly complicated setup to get going.
>
> Ideally what I would have is my org-src blocks and another window with
> the ssh terminal open.  Then hitting "C-c C-c" would execute the block
> over a shared ssh connection and I could see the results in the other
> window (quasi-interactively).  Is that possible?
>
> Thanks for your time!
>
>     Dave
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]
> http://home.fnal.gov/~neilsen/notebook/orgExamples/org-examples.html#sec-16

I had a quick go at this but get tramp errors.  I think you need a
terminal multiplexer e.g. tmux or screen.

In a terminal, connect using ssh (or mosh) then type 'tmux' to start a
new session or 'tmux attach' to attach to an existing one.

I would have thought that this should have worked, i.e. that the output
would have showed up in the terminal and in the buffer:

#+BEGIN_SRC sh  :prologue "tmux attach" :dir /address@hidden
echo $PWD
echo $HOSTNAME
#+END_SRC