Re: [O] SQL support in Babel

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] SQL support in Babel
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 23:35:50 -0500

Seb <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> The last code block in ob-doc-sql¹ suggests I should be able to place a
> number of #+HEADER lines above my SQL source code to specify the
> connection string.  I am trying to connect to a remote PostgreSQL
> server, and after lots of experimentation, the only way this works for
> me is to have a single #+HEADER line with a :cmdline with the entire
> connection string.  All the other header arguments (:database, :dbuser,
> etc.), whether in separate lines or in a single one, seem to be
> completely ignored.  Using Org 8.2.10 and Emacs 24.4.1 from Debian Sid
> packages.  Is this a problem with this version combination, or does the
> functionality of the header arguments depend on the engine being used?
> Thanks.
>

> +--- Footnotes ---+
> ¹ http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-sql.html

FWIW, the following worked fine for me:

#+name: my-query
#+header: :engine postgresql
#+header: :dbhost <host>
#+header: :dbuser <user>
#+header: :dbpassword <password>
#+header: :database sheetmusic
#+begin_src sql
  SELECT id, creator, title, category, boxnumber FROM music
  WHERE id > 300;
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: my-query
| # -*- coding: utf-8 -*- |         |
                        |           |           |
|                      id | creator | title
                        | category  | boxnumber |
|-------------------------+---------+-------------------------------------------------------------------+-----------+-----------|
|                     387 |      92 | Lullay my Liking
                        | Christmas |       101 |
|                     397 |     303 | Te Deum in B minor
                        | General   |       314 |

GNU Emacs 24.4.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9) of
2014-08-11
Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-559-g43ca1f @
/home/nick/elisp/org-mode/lisp/)

--