Re: [O] [patch] extend org-meta-return to keywords

From: Rasmus Pank Roulund
Subject: Re: [O] [patch] extend org-meta-return to keywords
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 13:19:09 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Attached is a new version of the patch that will respect the variables
>> that also govern `org-insert-headline'.  It's smarter and preserves the
>> layout better.
>
> Thanks for the patch. However there are already mechanisms to complete
> keywords faster (e.g., M-TAB, yasnippet).

Personally, I never figured out how to use yasnippet.  M-TAB is for
completion of new lines, not for continuation of ongoing work.

> Of course, yours is more efficient, but also very specific.

So say you do
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{biblatex}
Now you need to add a bib resource.  It's nice to quickly be able to get
a new #+LATEX_HEADER-line.  It's specific, but it's meant as a
continuation of the M-RET logic.

> It makes sense on very few keywords.  I have no strong opinion here,
> but I don't think it is general enough to go into core.

OK.  Hopefully some more people will chime in so we can make an educated
guess.

> Moreover, it can get in the way of expected M-RET behaviour, as in the
> following example
>
>   - item
>
>   | #+caption: test
>     untenrsiu
>
> where M-RET is expected to insert an item.

Sure. . .  I'm not sure expected behavior is what I'd like here.  But
that's the initial point, I guess.

> Anyway, some comments follow.

Thanks for those.

Cheers,
Rasmus

--
The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club