Re: [O] Large LaTeX project in single file or using publishing

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Large LaTeX project in single file or using publishing
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 12:43:23 +0100

Jacob Gerlach <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm starting writing my thesis, for which I hope to remain in org-mode
> rather than regular LaTeX.
>
> I am working on adapting a thesis LaTeX template into org-mode. The
> template is set up with a main.tex having several individual files
> (chapters, appendices, etc) \include'd.
>
> I believe that I could parallel this using org's publishing mechanism. An
> alternate approach would be to use one single file, since I can simply fold
> chapters to focus my workflow.
>
> My first concern is losing the ability to use internal links if I use
> separate files. Another thought is compilation time if I use one file and
> must always run pdflatex over the entire document. I'm sure there are
> pitfalls either way that I'm not yet aware of.

Don't forget latexmk [1] which runns in an emacs shell or even a
different terminal, monitors file changes, and if a file changes
compiles the latex file - so exporting from org is exporting to latex
only, and the pdf is creqated in the background.

I use it daily and it works perfectly.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Any input or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Jake

Footnotes:
[1]  http://users.phys.psu.edu/~collins/software/latexmk-jcc/