Re: [O] [org-babel R] Difference between output in RStudio and in Org Ba

From: Aaron Ecay
Subject: Re: [O] [org-babel R] Difference between output in RStudio and in Org Babel
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 16:36:18 -0500

Hi Seb,

[re-adding the list to cc]

2014ko abenudak 10an, Sebastien Vauban-ek idatzi zuen:

> FYI, the link is a screen capture image, in this case, not a video!

OK, now I feel sheepish.  I assumed from the screencast.com URL that
there was intended to be some video, for which the image displayed was
just the (first/last/etc.) frame.  Now I understand better.

> With my example, what I expect is:
>
>  |     | liste          | nb |
>  |-----+----------------+----|
>  | abc | item31\nitem80 |  2 |
>  | def | item52         |  1 |

There’s no convention in org tables that “\n” (i.e. two characters,
backslash + n) means newline (i.e. one character).

> In this case, I'd expect the same as in RStudio; that is, no multi-line
> cell, but simply a cell with a string in it -- which, yes, does contain
> the \n character:

What R’s console shows you (either RStudio or vanilla R) is a “human
readable” representation of the data frame, which includes doing
things like changing the newline character into a \n escape sequence
(and other stuff, like padding the columns with spaces so they all
line up vertically).  But when Org communicates with R, it asks for a
machine-readable version, which doesn’t include such niceties.  When
that machine-readable version includes a newline character in a data
field (as your example table does), org doesn’t know what to do and
messes up.

--
Aaron Ecay