Re: [O] doc patch: move footnote in external links

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [O] doc patch: move footnote in external links
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 10:43:22 +0100

Hello,

On 2014-12-12 18:29, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I think the footnote in
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/External-links.html#fn-1 is in the wrong
>> place, it should be on the next line.
>>
>> Here is a patch to fix it. If you prefer I can push it directly
>> myself.
>
> I think the current documentation is correct. Only
>
>                      file:projects.org::some words
>
> can trigger a text search. OTOH
>
>                       file:projects.org::*Headline
>
> is always an exact match against headlines in the file.

I've re-read the code, and I think this is partially correct. The only
place the `org-link-search-must-match-exact-headline' is used is below,
in a big conditional in `org-link-search'. The clauses before are used
to check special cases.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
     ((and (derived-mode-p 'org-mode) org-link-search-must-match-exact-headline)
      (and (equal (string-to-char s) ?*) (setq s (substring s 1)))
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (cond
       ((let (case-fold-search)
          (re-search-forward (format org-complex-heading-regexp-format
                                     (regexp-quote s))
                             nil t))
        ;; OK, found a match
        (setq type 'dedicated)
        (goto-char (match-beginning 0)))
       ((and (not org-link-search-inhibit-query)
             (eq org-link-search-must-match-exact-headline 'query-to-create)
             (y-or-n-p "No match - create this as a new heading? "))
        (goto-char (point-max))
        (or (bolp) (newline))
        (insert "* " s "\n")
        (beginning-of-line 0))
       (t
        (goto-char pos)
        (error "No match"))))
#+end_src

So you are correct the footnote applies to the text search. However, I
think is also applies to the headline search (as suggested by the second
line of the snippet). In other words, if I search for

  file:projects.org::*Headline

with `org-link-search-must-match-exact-headline' set to
'query-to-create, then I will be asked to create a headline.

Should I add a footnote to that effect?

Thanks,

Alan

--