Re: [O] Patch to implement sorting Org tables by IP address

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [O] Patch to implement sorting Org tables by IP address
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 17:37:13 -0500

> On Dec 13, 2014, at 5:07 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't think it needs to vary. As I suggested already, we can use cells
> contents (in the appropriate column) as trimmed strings. So, it could be
> built-in.
>
> Do you see any downside to it?

Well, I’m just going by what happens now. In org-do-sort, each of the sort
options sets a different extraction function. For example, if you want a
numeric sort, the extraction function calls string-to-number, while if you want
an alphabetic sort it calls org-sort-remove-invisible. Really, this doesn’t
matter because I was merely commenting on why (prompt . comparison) isn’t
enough. Of course, you could roll any special extraction functionality into the
comparison but I don’t really like that.

Anyway, what I was suggesting in my last post was that we duplicate the
functionality of org-sort-list. There, if you’re calling it programmatically
you specify getkey-func and compare-func. If you call it interactively, it asks
you for the extraction function (which must return a string or number) and it
tests it to see which comparison function to use. I like this approach because
it makes org-sort-list and org-table-sort-lines work the same way. What’s not
to like?