Re: [O] [RFC] Display most recent log item in Agenda

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Display most recent log item in Agenda
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 21:34:34 +0100

Hello,

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Undeterred by my previous bum patch, I'm sending more patches!
>
> Most of these are "what do you think" patches.
>
> 1. Ensure-org-log-into-drawer-returns-nil-or-string
>
> If the answer to my last question is "make sure `org-log-into-drawer'
> never returns just t", then this patch does that. If that isn't the
> answer, something can be done with `org-log-beginning'.

I applied something similar. Thank you.

> 2. Missing-comma-in-org-agenda-with-point-at-orig-entry
>
> The (currently unused) macro `org-agenda-with-point-at-orig-entry' is
> missing a comma.
>
> 3. New-function-org-get-log-list and
> New-function-org-agenda-show-log-item
>
> This is the "what do you think part". The first patch finds and returns
> the state log items of the current entry, as a list of parsed elements.
> It probably doesn't try hard enough to make sure it's really found the
> list.
>
> The second implements an Agenda command which displays the text of the
> most recent note on the entry under point. I use logging a lot, and am
> forever looking at "WAIT" or "NEXT" todos, and wondering what the heck I
> was waiting for, or actually supposed to do next.
>
> If this is acceptable in principle, the finished product would probably
> be a normal org-mode function, with an Agenda implementation on top of
> that, and maybe some sort of guard against displaying overly-long
> notes.

[...]

> WDYT?

I think the feature is interesting. However, the implementation seems
inefficient. Why do you need to parse all log entries if all you're
interested in is the last one? Parsing the last one should be
sufficient.

Better, you could store the last note as a text property on the headline
and skip altogether the parsing phase.

WDYT?

Regards,

--