[O] habits and todo state changes

From: Andrew Francis Swann
Subject: [O] habits and todo state changes
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:00:20 +0000

Having recently set-up an org habit for the first time, I have some
feedback on the manual page `Tracking your habits'. Point 6 currently
states

  6. You must also have state logging for the `DONE' state enabled
  (*note Tracking TODO state changes::), in order for historical
  data to be represented in the consistency graph.  If it is not
  enabled it is not an error, but the consistency graphs will be
  largely meaningless.

which I found a little too vague.

I had  org-log-done  set to 'note.  This was not sufficient to get correct
habit consistency graphs.  Changing it to 'time was, but I quickly got fed
up with not being prompted for notes on closing other types of task.  I
therefore reverted to 'note, but added the property

   :LOGGING: DONE(!)

to the habit task.  This now works smoothly as I wished.

Based on this I suggest adding the above LOGGING line to the PROPERTIES in
the example included in the manual so it reads:

        :PROPERTIES:
        :STYLE:    habit
        :LOGGING: DONE(!)
        :LAST_REPEAT: [2009-10-19 Mon 00:36]
        :END:

This should make it easier for other users to set up this feature.

Andrew

--
Andrew Swann | Associate Professor | Tel +45 871 55767 | address@hidden
| http://home.math.au.dk/swann/ | Department of Mathematics, Aarhus
University, Ny Munkegade 118, Bldg 1530, DK-8000 Aarhus C, Denmark | Dept
+45 871 50000 | Fax +45 8613 1769