Re: [O] Efficiency of Org v. LaTeX v. Word

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Efficiency of Org v. LaTeX v. Word
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 10:48:15 +0100

Am 26.12.2014 um 23:47 schrieb Ken Mankoff:
People here might be interested in a publication from [2014-12-19 Fri]
available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0115069

Title: An Efficiency Comparison of Document Preparation Systems Used
in Academic Research and Development

experienced LaTeX users.

The way researcher efficiency is defined in that "study" completely misses the purpose of scientific publishing and it goes downhill from there. The statistics are pseudo-scientific smokes and mirrors, no control groups, no normalization and not a single hint of why it should be acceptable to use normal distributions for something that clearly isn't normally distributed other than the obvious convenience of drawing wild conclusions from a small sample size.

I'm still not sure if this isn't an elaborate joke, but I'm afraid not.

Someone here should repeat experiment and add Org into the mix, perhaps
Org -> ODT and/or Org -> LaTeX and see if it helps or hurts. I assume
Org would trump LaTeX, but would Org -> ODT or Org -> X -> DOCX (via
pandoc) beat straight Word?

Repeating a deeply flawed "study" that seems designed to support some pre-conceived notion or preference of the authors isn't going to produce any new insights and I'm quite certain that there is better research into the differences of WYSIWIG vs. non-WYSIWIG publication systems and/or researcher efficiency. If a reasearcher is nothing more than a typist that needs to produce pages of texts, tables and equations in a prescribed format in the least amount of time motivated by a monetary prize, we wouldn't need researchers at all. That would incidentally save much more money than having them all switch from LaTeX to Word, so let's stop funding research.

--
Achim.

(on the road :-)