[O] OT: Gmail and cloud-dependencies (was: Conducting end user surveys a

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] OT: Gmail and cloud-dependencies (was: Conducting end user surveys and analyze data)
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 17:51:33 +0100

* Paul Rudin <address@hidden> wrote:

> But you can pull all your email out of gmail via pop or imap, so
> it's not like you'll lose your emails.

There are cases where people lost access to Gmail instantly because
of false accusations or idendity theft. You have to prepare *now*
for not losing yous emails if you don't synchronize often.

> At worst you'd lose your email address (although if you register a
> domain name then you can keep your email address and still use
> gmail for as long as it's there and some other provider later).

You'll lose some more. At least you are going to lose your labels
AFAIR.

> On the privacy point, you can send encrypted data via non-secure
> email providers.

But that's even more pain in the a**.

Besides the point that you'll lose search functionality on Gmail,
you have to find a reliable system that supports you with de- and
encryption. Then you have to trust those tools which are often
browser-based. I would not trust web-browser-modules and
web-browsers at all. Those tools will never see my private GnuPG
key.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github