[O] Org-mode execute functions upon opening and closing

From: Eduardo Mercovich
Subject: [O] Org-mode execute functions upon opening and closing
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 16:43:51 -0300

Hello everybody.

I'm new to the list, so please forgive me if this is offtopic, but
I've searched with the obviously wrong keywords, since I found no
answer for this yet.

In short: I'd like to know how could Org execute (internal) functions
upon opening and closing.

___ Longer form ___

I'd like Org -upon opening- to:
* check if there is any update in the mobile-org files (something I'd
done when not in the computer)
* update the calendar/agenda (online to local) and write the file.

Upon closing:
* export/stage mobile-org files (to have them synched if I need them
on the move)
* export/update the agenda (local to online) file and it's web
equivalent (BTW, I'd show the local file it over my desktop using
Conky).

___ Why ___

Upon repeated and un-welcomed changes or utter disappearance of
various online services I used before (delicious, springpad, google
reader, google wave, you-name-it, etc.) I decided to continue the path
of sane interdependence that started me on Linux years ago, and have
my own set of tools:
* based on logical standards and a simple format,
* maintainable in the long run,
* being very flexible/adaptable, and
* under the control of a community of real people (not corporations)
with which I share values and work.

This implies to go out of Google, yes, and I'm actually happy thinking
about it. :)

While I'm new to Org-mode (to Emacs, actually), I found it absolutely
fascinating. It fits perfectly with my own mental set and I'm happy
thinking that with time, I will tweak it to do exactly what I need it
to do (the same happened with Dvorak typing and I'm still enjoying
every day of it).

The big plan (rant for another thread) is to eventually integrate all
the information I use into this system, as many already did:
* people (org-contacts, BBDB, google-contacts, other?),
* events (calfw+org-mode?)
* mail (mu4e in my case, but there are other possible tools too).
* documents (org-mode itself)
* references (org-mode itself)
* etc.

Of course, I will have to do quite some tutorials and read a lot about
lisp (I'm no programmer myself), but I have no doubt that in the end
it will pay back.

Thanks a lot for your time and attention. :)

Best...
--
Eduardo Mercovich