Re: [O] OT: Gmail and cloud-dependencies

From: Daniele Pizzolli
Subject: Re: [O] OT: Gmail and cloud-dependencies
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 08:55:22 +0100

Karl Voit writes:

> * Paul Rudin wrote:
>> Karl Voit writes:
>>

>>> * Paul Rudin wrote:

[]

>>> You'll lose some more. At least you are going to lose your labels
>>> AFAIR.
>>
>> Labels map to mailboxes if you access your gmail via imap IIRC, so you
>> don't really lose that information.
>
> AFAIR do you lose information for sure: you can't have combinations
> of labels (e.g., +important+business) as mailboxes and you can't
> export this information in a meaningful way for migration.

Hello,

I never used that but, offlineimap seems to be able to sync the labels
using a custom(?) message header. See:

https://github.com/OfflineIMAP/offlineimap/blob/fc4c7549d6d03415edc2537b29c83fd6baea1bc6/offlineimap/folder/Gmail.py#L67

I am not sure if that is really meaningful.  Maybe mail clients like
mu4e can be used to search this header in a way easy to use.

Best,
Daniele