Re: [O] [ANN] [OT] New Android app (Orgzly)

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] [OT] New Android app (Orgzly)
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 14:18:56 -0500

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2015-01-22, at 17:41, Jose E. Marchesi <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>     *NOTE* It's about an app which is *not* open source (some parts of code
>>     will opened, see below).  If you have a problem with that, you can stop
>>     reading right about now...
>>
>> Please stop using the GNU mailing lists to promote proprietary software.
>
> It might be the case that I do not understand something.
>
> AFAIR, there was a recent discussion on another GNU mailing list about
> usability of Emacs under Windows.  (Maybe it was somewhere else, I'm not
> sure, then my question is theoretical.)  A few people claimed that Emacs
> under Windows is fully functional and works well.  Would this also be
> considered "promoting proprietary software"?

The point here is that the FSF is a charitable nonprofit which promotes
free software.  Their servers have usage guidelines:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php

Basically, helping Free software to work on non-Free operating systems
is ok, as long as the non-Free OS is not the proprietary target and the
software works best (or equal) on Free systems.    Supporting or
advertising non-Free software is not ok.

So the opinions of our hosts are pretty clear.