Re: [O] New ELPA addition bogs down Emacs

From: Puneeth Chaganti
Subject: Re: [O] New ELPA addition bogs down Emacs
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 04:04:47 +0530

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 3:26 AM, Lawrence Bottorff <address@hidden> wrote:
> Changing to #+STARTUP: showeverything did the trick . . . although I don't
> know why. Why?

One of the reasons I discovered recently was this inconspicuous change
(around v8.2.6) [1], though this may or may not be what is happening
for you.

Calling `org-overview` on large files takes a lot of time and is CPU
intensive.  #+STARTUP: showeverything basically turns off a call to
this, when a file is opened -- so, the file is displayed with
everything shown.

Before this change, `org-overview` had a call to `recenter`, and when
a file was opened by visiting `org-agenda`, the file would be opened
in a buried (not currently visible) buffer. This would case `recenter`
to error out (since it expects the buffer to be current), there by
causing an error in `org-overview`.  Co-incidentally, this saved all
the CPU cycles. This change removed this "broken" call to `recenter`.

[1] -
http://orgmode.org/w/?p=org-mode.git;a=commitdiff;h=b88c5464db2cb0d90d4f30e43b5e08d2b1c1fcea;hp=8cc4e09950594b2abec2502e9218318570595ac5

-- Puneeth