Re: [O] Citation syntax and ODT

From: Vaidheeswaran C
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax and ODT
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 23:41:59 +0530

On Monday 23 February 2015 10:45 PM, Richard Lawrence wrote:

I am not a scholar and never in my lifetime have I produced a document
that uses citations.  My knowledge level is pretty much like that of a
layman.  The questions here could be pretty stupid.  So bear with me.

But whatever style is chosen, I would still think that the fact that the
citation is in-text rather than parenthetical, and that it has a prefix
and suffix, should be represented in the output.

1. When you choose 'style' (Chicago etc.) wouldn't be one of in-text
   or parenthetical already chosen for you?  Stated other way, is the
   choice between parenthetical or in-text document-wide or is it that
   one could intermix the two styles in the same document.

2. Citation processor like JabRef just takes a cite-key.  It doesn't
   take a pre or post-note.  So, the pre and post notes should be
   spliced in to the exported document by the elisp module that
   interfaces with the citation processor.

If we are going to interface with a citation-processor, the best
course of action would be to have someone first 'gauge' the
capabilities provided by the citation processor and let that
experience inform what Org should aspire to do.