Re: [O] FR: Fontify links even when in comments

From: Ken Mankoff
Subject: Re: [O] FR: Fontify links even when in comments
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 14:46:19 -0500

Hi Nicolas,

On 2015-02-23 at 14:32, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
Ken Mankoff <address@hidden> writes:

It would be nice to have an [[Org mode link]]

# in a line that is [[commented]] and still

be able to see that link. Currently, there is no visual indication that the link exists, although it still does work.

It works as a convenience feature. However, I don't think we should publicize it much, as a comment is first and foremost, dead data.

To me comments are mainly things that don't get exported. I don't know what you mean by "dead", but comments are certainly "data", and data is not dead. Their utility and data density is reduced if they can't contain links (or I can't see that the link is there, which is sort-of the same thing).

When writing a document it is useful to leave informal notes to myself that say "see X" where X is an external file, or a section (or some code) elsewhere in this document, etc.

This can be done with "#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE :exports none", or "**SECTION :noexport:", but both of those are awful hacks when a single line or a few words are all that is needed.

 -k.