[O] Notifications-notify for org-mode scheduled items?

From: Leo Ufimtsev
Subject: [O] Notifications-notify for org-mode scheduled items?
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 12:54:41 -0500 (EST)

Hello folks,

I would like to receive desktop notifications (1* e.g below) for scheduled
items.
E.g if I schedule like this:

* Make Coffee
  SCHEDULED: <2015-03-02 Mon 01:30>

Then I would like a desktop notification to pup up at 1:30 telling me to make
coffee.

I saw the org-notify package, but besides this post:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/59339
I didn't see any documentation on it, making it somewhat tricky to configure.

I'd be willing to spend time figuring out the package, but I'm wondering, has
someone got something like this to work already?
And if so, would you be willing to share a 'high-level' overview? (I'd be happy
to figure out the details).

Thank you

1* I get a desktop notification if I run this command:
(notifications-notify
           :title "Title"
           :body "This is <b>important</b>."
           :actions '("Confirm" "I agree" "Refuse" "I disagree")
           :on-action 'my-on-action-function
           :on-close 'my-on-close-function)
ref:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Desktop-Notifications.html