Re: [O] Notifications-notify for org-mode scheduled items?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Notifications-notify for org-mode scheduled items?
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 13:44:13 -0500

address@hidden (Tory S. Anderson) writes:

> I was actually just playing with this. If you don't mind adding your whole
> daily schedule to the notify list, you can use
>
> (org-agenda-to-appt)
>
> Unrelated to agenda, there is (appt-add)
>
> As far submitting just a single item from the agenda for a pop-up reminder,
> I'm still at a loss.
> - Tory
>
> Leo Ufimtsev <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I would like to receive desktop notifications (1* e.g below) for scheduled
>> items.
>> E.g if I schedule like this:
>>
>> * Make Coffee
>>   SCHEDULED: <2015-03-02 Mon 01:30>
>>
>> Then I would like a desktop notification to pup up at 1:30 telling me to
>> make coffee.
>>
>> I saw the org-notify package, but besides this post:
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/59339
>> I didn't see any documentation on it, making it somewhat tricky to
>> configure.
>>
>> I'd be willing to spend time figuring out the package, but I'm wondering,
>> has someone got something like this to work already?
>> And if so, would you be willing to share a 'high-level' overview? (I'd be
>> happy to figure out the details).
>>
>> Thank you
>>

>> 1* I get a desktop notification if I run this command:
>> (notifications-notify
>>            :title "Title"
>>            :body "This is <b>important</b>."
>>            :actions '("Confirm" "I agree" "Refuse" "I disagree")
>>            :on-action 'my-on-action-function
>>            :on-close 'my-on-close-function)
>> ref:
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Desktop-Notifications.html
>>

>> Leo Ufimtsev | Intern Software Engineer @ Eclipse Team

There is a FAQ entry with a couple of pointers, one to an ancient
posting of mine (I still use that mechanism seven years later :-)) and one
to a more refined setup by Russell Adams (using zenity):

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#automatic-reminders

Russel's entry in org-hacks is followed by a similar entry by Sarah
Bagby using terminal-notifier on OS X.

HTH,
Nick