Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 21:26:00 +0100

Hello,

Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> writes:

> I decided to go ahead and see what I could make of it. The result has
> been pushed to the org mode repo to the branch wip-cite-awe. (I didn’t
> want to push to your branch without asking, but if you prefer I’ll do
> that and delete my own.)

This is not *my* branch. However, I suggest to push only consensual
features with documentation and tests there, and experiment features in
other branches.

> The first issue is that the parser includes trailing punctuation in
> “bare” @key citations.  So the following does not work as expected (the
> :key includes the period): “This was demonstrated most recently by
> @Smith2015.”  I’m not sure what the right approach is – one option
> would be to say that keys can contain punctuation, but must end (and
> begin) with an alphanumeric character.

I'll update the parser once there is a new syntax for keys. At the
moment, it is correct wrt syntax.

> The second issue is that the :key property of the citation element
> includes the @.  This is not right IMO: it’s a detail of the syntax.
> And it means that consumers of the syntax, who might want to look up
> the key in a database, will always have to remember to strip the @.
> I’ve pushed a provisional fix for this in my branch.

Please apply it to wip-cite. A dedicated test would be nice, too.

> The code is very rough and ready, has lots of TODO comments in it, is
> missing tests, documentation in the manual, etc.  Nonetheless, I want to
> get feedback on it early, given that many people have already contributed
> so much useful information to this discussion.

I didn't look closely at the code, but I suggest to use "org-cite.el"
instead of "ox-cite.el". Even though this is only related to export at
the moment, this library will also contain commands to manipulate
citation objects. It also shorten prefix for these functions.

Thanks for your work,

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou