Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 21:34:04 +0100

> Richard Lawrence <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> What's the next step here?  Adding support for multiple references?
>> multi-cites? `&'-keys?
>
> To support multi cites, we must first decide how the parsed will present
> information, i.e., what are the properties in the following case
>
>   [cite:pre; pre1 @k1 post1; pre2 @k2 post2; post]

I was actually looking at this today and wondering why this was not
supported.

I think a citation object should always member of a citations object.  So
the above would be

   (citations (:begin n :end N :prefix pre :suffix post
               :citations
               '((citation (:key k1 :begin n1 :end N1 :prefix pre1))
                 (citation (:key k2 :begin n2 :end N2 :prefix pre2 :suffix
post2)))))

This makes it naturally to operate over one many citations.  I don't know
if this should be some sort of pseudo-object or what.  Also, one issue I
ran into when trying to get address@hidden; @k2] working was that @k2 is
recognized
as an inline citation (which means that I probably did something wrong)...

Of course, a quasi-tricky part (I think) is that [cite: pre @key post]
should be (with no "global" :prefix and :suffix):

   (citations (:begin n :end N
               :citations
               '((citation (:key key :begin n1 :end N1 :prefix pre :suffix
post)))))

Which imply that citations are parsed from "the middle" and outwards.

Nicolas: I wrote a patch for subtypes (with "/" as a separator as most
people seemed to like that).  Should I post it or will you take care of it
eventually?  I don't know if you have got a game-plan in mind?
[I also have other outstanding patches, so I just want to put my limited
Org-time where it makes sense].

Cheers,
Rasmus

--
There are known knowns; there are things we know that we know