Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 23:33:20 +0100

> However mixing `citations' and `citation' is confusing. I'd rather keep
> the outer one as `citation'. What could go inside? Maybe `cite'?

Perhaps the difference is too subtle.  Note that you would never deal with
a `citation' other than through a mapping.

> Moreover,
>
>   [cite:@key]
>
> will be parsed as
>
>   [citation (:begin n :end N
>              :whatever '((whatever (:key key :begin n1 :end N1 :prefix
> pre1))))]
>
> Is that correct?

Yeah, exactly.  So the format would be a map over the list of whatevers in
ox.

>> This makes it naturally to operate over one many citations.  I don't know
>> if this should be some sort of pseudo-object or what.  Also, one issue I
>> ran into when trying to get address@hidden; @k2] working was that @k2 is
>> recognized
>> as an inline citation (which means that I probably did something
>> wrong)...
>
> address@hidden; @k2] ?
>
> This is unspecified. address@hidden is a shortcut for [(cite):@k1], nothing
> more.
> Anything more complicated should go in a [cite:...] object.

Right, I was trying *to add* support for address@hidden; ⋯;@kN].  One issue
doing
this was that the regexp for inline citations also captured @k2 in
address@hidden;
@k2], but it's cause I did a mistake.

>> Of course, a quasi-tricky part (I think) is that [cite: pre @key post]
>> should be (with no "global" :prefix and :suffix):
>>
>>    (citations (:begin n :end N
>>                :citations
>>                '((citation (:key key :begin n1 :end N1 :prefix pre :suffix
>> post)))))
>>
>> Which imply that citations are parsed from "the middle" and outwards.
>
> I don't see any ambiguity here, since semi colons are forbidden in PRE
> and POST.

I was talking about paring [cite: pre @k post] as

    (citation (:begin n :end N
               :cites
                '((cite (:key key :begin n1 :end N1 :prefix pre :suffix
post)))))

And not:

    (citation (:begin n :end N :prefix pre :suffix post
               :cites '((cite (:key key :begin n1 :end N1)))))

Perhaps I'm worrying about things that need not be worried about.

—Rasmus

--
This message is brought to you by the department of redundant departments