Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] Citation syntax: a revised proposal
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 10:39:18 +0100

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Lawrence <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Is there any reason to go with citeproc-java over a different CSL
>> implementation, like citeproc-js or pandoc-citeproc?  I am a little
>> nervous about shelling out to something that sounds it like it requires
>
> For the longest of time, mathtoweb.jar was the blessed MathML producer.
> Java is great 'cause it works equally mediocre on all platforms!
>
> This might make citeproc-java very attractive (from its Github page):
>
>      "... citeproc-java contains a BibTeX converter that is able to map
>      BibTeX database entries to CSL citations."

Actually, Richard, check out the cli tool of citeproc-java:

    http://michel-kraemer.github.io/citeproc-java/using/command-line-tool/

It looks pretty cool.  It reads bib, json and mendeley(?) out of the box
and support text, html output.  From html it's not far to odt.

Unfortunately, Zotero stores its database in sqlite according to their
wiki...  Perhaps, a zotero back-end could be added...

Are there other equivalently "nice" CSL cli-tools?

How would CSL work to get e.g. parentheses citations?  Is it a question of
passing an alternative style, e.g. "format with @foo with
chicago-author-date" versus "format with @foo with
chicago-author-date-parenthesis"?

—Rasmus

--
The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club