[O] Escape individual underscore?

From: Jacob Gerlach
Subject: [O] Escape individual underscore?
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 20:08:30 +0000

Hi List,

I want to include a literal underscore in LaTeX export, like FOO_BAR. Right now I get:
FOO$_{\text{BAR}}$

Contrary to this stackexchange question, if I try to escape the underscore with a backslash, I get:
FOO$\backslash$$_{\text{BAR}}

I've found that I can setĀ org-export-with-sub-superscripts to "{}" to avoid this problem, but I'd rather escape individual underscores on a case by case basis. Is this possible?

As an aside, section 11.7.2 of the org info says "Configure the variable `org-use-sub-superscripts' to
change this convention." Fortunately the docstring for org-use-sub-superscripts points out that display and export functionality are now controlled by separate variables. I would propose a patch to update the info to clarify that two variables are used, but I'm not currently set up to do so.

Regards,
Jake