Re: [O] Plotting in Python block won't over-write existing file

From: Richard Stanton
Subject: Re: [O] Plotting in Python block won't over-write existing file
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 21:17:28 -0700

> Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 14:21:54 -0500
> From: Nick Dokos <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [O] Plotting in Python block won't over-write existing
>       file
>
> Richard Stanton <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Here?s a sample Python code block:
>>
>> #+begin_src python :results file :exports both
>> import matplotlib
>> matplotlib.use('Agg')
>> import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
>> import pandas as pd
>>
>> df = pd.DataFrame({'date': [1900, 1901, 1902], 'x1' : [3, 4, 5], 'x2' : [6,
>> 7, 9]})
>> df.set_index('date', inplace=True, drop=True)
>> df.plot()
>> plt.savefig('x4.png')
>> return 'x4.png' # return filename to org-mode
>> #+End_src
>>
>> When I run it, the graph appears on the screen and in the named file, as
>> desired.
>>
>> However, if I go back, change one of the numbers, and rerun the block,
>> while it claims to have run OK, the graph is not updated. I only get a
>> new plot if I also change the file name (e.g., to x5.png). It looks
>> like it?s refusing to over-write an existing file. Is there a reason
>> for this, and is there a way to change this behavior?
>>
>> By the way, this is with org-mode 8.3beta-884-g9ed426
>>

> IIUC, you eval the code, hit the resulting link (which opens a buffer with the
> graph), change a number and reeval the code - do you hit the link again?
> That should ask you whether you want to read the changed file again and
> show the updated graph.

Thanks, Nick. After MUCH investigation, and a lot of help from John Kitchen, I
worked out that

a. The file was changing fine on disk, just not redisplaying in Emacs.

b. The problem seems to be related to the version of Emacs I'm using (24.4 for
OS X), downloaded from http://emacsformacosx.com/builds. After going back there
and downloading and installing Emacs 24.4.90 pretest, org-mode now updates
graphs just fine.

I don't know what the problem was, or why changing the Emacs version solved it
(with no other changes), but maybe this will be helpful to someone else.

Best,

RIchard Stanton