Re: [O] Bleeding edge in elpa

From: T.F. Torrey
Subject: Re: [O] Bleeding edge in elpa
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 23:48:31 -0700

Hello,

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> As I think somebody said, the correct "fix" to this problem is more
> frequent released.  I'm sure Bastien would appreciate help with this.
> Do you want to volunteer?

If the goal is to have the latest and greatest version of Org available via
ELPA (for all the reasons some people use ELPA instead of git), there
are two obvious options:

1. Org could have a stable release every month or so.

2. The Org server could be configured to automatically package the
master version of Org every day, as the maint version is now.

Option 1 is widely regarded as the best choice.  However, it requires a
lot of actual, repeated human effort.  As Debian repeatedly
demonstrates, this is very hard to do, even once.  If option 1 could be
done, it would already be done.

Option 2 would be a one-time (mostly) human effort, and the daily work
would be automated.

So, if the goal is to have the latest and greates version of Org
available via ELPA (and it should be), option 2 is the only one that is
possible in the real world, so that's the one we should set up.

All the best,
Terry
--
T.F. Torrey