Re: [O] fontenc makes pdf non-searchable

From: Stefan Nobis
Subject: Re: [O] fontenc makes pdf non-searchable
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 08:18:56 +0100

Martin Leduc <address@hidden> writes:

> You can find a minimal example here[1], with the org file, and the
> tex and pdf files generated from it. Firts try to search within the
> pdf. It does not work (at least on my side) To solve the problem,
> remove the line with \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

Your PDF is not generated with pdflatex (or a newer engine like
lualatex), but with dvips and Ghostscript. Thus the fonts are not PS
Type 1 fonts, but Type 3 fonts (bitmap instead of vector; therefore
scaling/zooming will result in bad quality).

I'm not quite sure if this is also the root cause of the inability to
search. But if i recompile your tex-file (from [1]) with pdflatex, I
get Type 1 fonts and have no problems with searching.

Therefore I would suggest to switch the engine to pdflatex.

Another hint: You should try the Latin Modern font (put a
"\usepackage{lmodern}" after loading fontenc) -- it's the
(technically) modern variant of Computer Modern (the old TeX default
font). Lati Modern is available as OpenType font and has less problems
with Unicode and special characters like german umlauts (ä, ü,...) or
other non-ASCII letters.

And maybe you should also have a look at biblatex[2] (as a much more
flexible alternative to natbib).

[1] https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7s6di4en5ljbkcq/AAAzyQeg6VkMHnC1X9dQTg6ua?dl=0
[2] http://ctan.org/pkg/biblatex
--