Re: [O] [ox, patch] Add #+SUBTITLE

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [ox, patch] Add #+SUBTITLE
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:10:11 +0100

Hi,

Melanie Bacou <address@hidden> writes:

> I would indeed go further and suggest adding the following once and
> for all as common ox features:

I don't think so.  Consider the ultra important ox-ical (it's important
'cause it keep my calendar in sync via org-caldav).  How should it handle
these fields?  I think markdown also ignores them.  I think it's better to
identify a subset of "text exporters" (ox-ascii, ox-html, ox-latex,
ox-odt) that support a larger set of keywords, but not through ox.el.
(Though having it in ox makes the backend code slightly cleaner).

> #+AUTHORS (support multiple)

This one is tough.  Recently I had to write a LaTeX title for two authors,
one institutions like

    Author 1            Author 2
            Institution

AFAIK, the \and does not work for this in LaTeX.  It's just very hard to
find a general solution.  How would you even write this?  How do I
associate authors and institution?  Previously we talked about supporting
footnotes in TITLE and AUTHOR which could maybe solve the email issue.

> #+EMAILS (1 per author)
> #+AFFILIATIONS (1 per author)

AFAIK this is supported in beamer, so we could add it there.  It's also in
KOMA-Script I believe.

> #+CLASSIFICATION (e.g. "ACM", "JEL", "Dublin Core", "your corporate
> classification", etc.)

I have no clue what this means.

> #+KEYWORDS
> #+DESCRIPTION

> #+REVISION
> #+COPYRIGHT

Are these fields standard?  In hyperref these are supported out of the
box:

pdftitle pdfauthor pdfsubject pdfcreator pdfproducer pdfkeywords
pdftrapped

New ones can be added via pdfinfo, though.

You have not specified any details about what is printed.  I guess
something like revision is like a subtitle, i.e. you'd want it printed?

> This is not so much about what back-ends currently support (that's
> irrelevant in my view), it's about what minimum meta information is
> needed to publish and maintain meaningful documents.

It also about having good support for our main backends.  E.g. we try to
support math equally well in latex and other backends.

> The use of these meta fields encourage good publishing practices, and
> all back-ends should eventually support all or a subset of these. Most
> LaTeX journal classes do.
        ^^^^^^^

But ox-latex assumes the default doc. classes.

> HTML would support these at least as <meta content=""> tags.

It would be great if you would concretely share examples with us, that
uses all of this stuff in a concrete manner.  At the very least more
details is needed.  You will also have to confirm whether you truly think
this is an ox.el issue in the light of my comments above (what is
COPYRIGHT to ical?).

> ODT and DOCX can support all using templates.

Org does not export to docx.

—Rasmus

--
. . . The proofs are technical in nature and provides no real understanding