Re: [O] moving into another time zone?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] moving into another time zone?
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2015 09:01:45 +0100

On Monday, 30 Mar 2015 at 22:35, Toomas Rosin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Is it possible to create timestamps (SCHEDULED:) for TODOs with
> respect to one timezone, but have Agenda view show them for another
> zone — so that when I move to another timezone, all I have to do is
> tell org-mode (via environment?) in which timezone I happen to be at
> the moment, to have the Agenda view display all times according to
> that zone, without me having to change anything in the .org file
> itself?

Not possible.

> And if it is not possible (which I suspect, not having found anything
> promising by grepping for "zone" in org-mode sources and docs, and by
> looking at `org-time-string-to-time' and `org-ts-regexp0'), what
> exactly would it take to make it possible?

The format of time stamps would have to change to include time zone
information, although I guess the change could be upwards compatible by
assuming the local time zone if a designator is not present.  The regex
specifications for time stamps would need to be updated and potentially
all functions using these would have to change as well.

And I'm sure there would be second order implications...

I think it would be doable.  The question is whether it is worth
it.  When I was in Australia for a year recently, flying back and forth
frequently, I would have loved to have had this feature.  However, I
managed without it by being careful about how I put the information into
my org files.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3beta-921-gfd8c84