Re: [O] Function that jumps to an entry with a certain CUSTOM_ID

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Function that jumps to an entry with a certain CUSTOM_ID
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 22:21:42 +0200

Christoph Lange <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mar 31, 2015 9:53 PM, "Nicolas Goaziou" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The problem is that we're running out of interesting keybindings.
>
> Let me ask the question differently: as all reasonable key bindings are
> taken (a statement to which I tend to agree), is the suggestion of
> interactive functions to be added to the core of org-mode no longer
> appropriate?

IMO we can't afford maintaining all end-user functions imaginable in
"org.el". What is possible, however is to extend some existing
behaviour.

For example, `org-open-at-point' could be a good candidate: with C-u
C-u, it could offer to type in a link and open it. So, in order to jump
to a custom-id, you can use

  C-u C-u C-o #my-custom RET

Of course, you lose completion, in this case, which is a serious
drawback.

Another option would be to extend `org-goto' (C-c C-j) and offer to jump
to custom-id.

> But I think I should rather aim at Worg's "contrib" directory,

There's no such thing as Worg "contrib" directory. There's Worg, OT1H,
and a contrib/ directory OTOH, but they are not related.

Worg is a good place to share useful code snippets.

Regards,