Re: [O] Best practices for dual HTML/LaTeX export for scientific papers

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Best practices for dual HTML/LaTeX export for scientific papers
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 11:38:24 -0400

#1 org-ref does an ok job with this. It isn't as good at html output as
 for latex output (because latex has a dedicated citation processor via
 bib(la)tex, and org-ref has a hackery for generating mostly ok entries
 from the bibtex file, for the common types I have used.). For example,
 you often need to escape things like % and & in bibtex, and there is
 limited support for removing those in org-ref. Also, org-ref currently
 does not support latex in the bibtex entries for html output. There is
 potential for this by replacing fragments with images, but I probably
 won't look into that until the summer. The output style is
 user-customizable, but currently somewhat limited. I may look into
 improving this over the summer to make it more flexible.

Cannot comment on #2. I solve this by manually by putting both figures
in a single image file, and using a single caption with a) and b) in the
caption text.

#3 I just pushed a small enhancement to org-ref that makes the ref links
point to a #id in the html document. this works for figures at least. It
will take some post processing to change the link from the label to a
number, and maybe a custom exporter to do that. A temporary solution is to
label your figures with numbers, e.g. #+LABEL: fig:1. It isn't pretty,
but it would be functional.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F