Re: [O] org-cite and org-citeproc

From: Richard Lawrence
Subject: Re: [O] org-cite and org-citeproc
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 08:57:08 -0700

Hi Tom and all,

address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

>> OK, I see, that makes things clearer.  Would it make sense to have two
>> keywords, say LATEX_CITE_STYLE and CSL_FILE or similar, so that the
>> style can vary independently when exporting to LaTeX vs. non-LaTeX?  I'm
>> thinking it will be tricky to come up with a single set of values for a
>> CITATION_STYLE keyword that can be correctly mapped to both kinds of
>> backend.  Or maybe CITATION_STYLE should have "sub"-keywords, like
>>
>> #+CITATION_STYLE: biblatex:authoryear csl:chicago-author-date.csl
>
> Won't the backends sort this out without the additional mapping?

Surely they could, but I guess I'm unclear on how that should happen.

Org could keep a variable mapping citation styles to default values for
the respective backends, like:

(defcustom org-cite-citation-styles
  '(("author-year" (biblatex-pkg-args
"citestyle=authoryear,bibstyle=authoryear")
                   (csl-file "/path/to/chicago-author-date.csl"))
                   ...))

so in a document, you could just write

#+CITATION_STYLE: author-year

or similar.  Is this what you have in mind?

That seems like a good way to provide reasonable defaults using a
high-level label.  But I think using a high-level label like this will
underdetermine the actual style to use (on both sides, I assume); and
the problem is that if we make the labels more fine-grained, there's no
longer any guarantee that, for a given style label, a suitable style
file will be available on both LaTeX and non-LaTeX backends.

There obviously needs to be some mechanism so authors can specify their
citation style quite precisely for the backends they are interested in.
(Maybe just customizing this variable would do the trick.)  But what
should the fallback mechanism look like when a particular style does not
specify the required information for a given export backend?  E.g., if
CITATION_STYLE is X and we're exporting to HTML, but the entry in
org-cite-citation-styles does not specify a CSL file for style X?  Would
it be enough to have a single 'default clause or similar in
org-cite-citation-styles to use in that kind of case?

Best,
Richard