Re: [O] Best practices for dual HTML/LaTeX export for scientific papers

From: Charles C. Berry
Subject: Re: [O] Best practices for dual HTML/LaTeX export for scientific papers
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 15:01:59 -0700

On Thu, 2 Apr 2015, Rasmus wrote:

Hi,

David Dynerman <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

2) Figures containing multiple side-by-side figures with subcaptions (e.g. in LaTeX I would use minipage + subcaption)

For LaTeX you can find solution on this list.  I would not know how to do
it in "plain" HTML.  That would be the first step to a solution.

You can get part way just by using a table.

#+NAME: as-org
#+BEGIN_SRC org
#+ATTR_LATEX: :environment figure
| [[file:./testa.png]] | [[file:./testb.png]]  |
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var y=as-org() :wrap latex
(org-export-string-as y 'latex t)
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var y=as-org() :wrap html
(org-export-string-as y 'html t)
#+END_SRC

With ob-org.el loaded, the two elisp blocks will produce tables of images in the latex and html backends.

Some further work is needed to adjust the `width=...' of the latex result
and to put captions in the right places in both latex and html.

Using the babel blocks makes it easy to see what might be needed.

In the end, I expect a filter would be used rather than babel blocks.

HTH,

Chuck