Re: [O] Resume: Squeezing lines tighter in LaTeX output?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Resume: Squeezing lines tighter in LaTeX output?
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 12:27:30 -0500

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 7:18 PM, Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2015-04-17, at 20:13, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Everything you'll do in Org will simply involve passing the right
>> parameters to LaTeX via Org. In other words, you should start by
>
> Personally, I prefer configuring on the LaTeX side, but this is because
> I find it much easier.

Could you clarify "on the LaTeX side" (as in, post-Org, or LaTeX
altogether)? Or what you find easier? I think I'm probably on the same
page, but just wanted to hear your take. For me it comes down more to
the command/"micro-formatting" side. As in, for my resume, I went raw
LaTeX as it would have been ridiculous to try and do what I wanted
from Org (aka, I'd have just had #+begin/end_latex everywhere and thus
Org would literally just be a middle man). But if I'm using Org at
all, I prefer to figure out how to do the LaTeX stuff from Org;
otherwise when I inevitably miss something (typo, syntax, format
tweak) I have to re-export, then re-apply all my custom LaTeX tweaks
to the resultant .tex file.

For most reports and such, I don't adjust things that finely, and so
~5-10 #+latex_header lines seems completely worth it to have access to
markup vs. writing all that raw LaTeX. Plus it just looks nicer :)

>> finding out how to do what you want to do in LaTeX; for example google
>> "how to change line spacing latex" and peruse the top result:
>> - http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Paragraph_Formatting
>
> Be cautious, though: the LaTeX wikibook has some parts which are very
> outdated (at least this was the situation when I looked at it some time
> ago).  I'd rather recommend searching CTAN and searching/asking at
> TeX.StackExchange.

Good to know! I wasn't aware of that and tend to just go for the first
google hit, which can sometimes be wikibook, but absolutely is often a
tex.SE Q/A.

>> Definitely look at paralist and enumitem for tweaking spacing as a
>> starting point.
>
> Also, check out the titlesec package (http://www.ctan.org/pkg/titlesec)
> and/or memoir and/or koma-script.
>
>> Hope that helps.