Re: [O] ob-R, problem with try/catch

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] ob-R, problem with try/catch
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 18:29:54 +0200

Envoyé de mon iPhone

> Le 23 avr. 2015 à 18:13, Charles C. Berry <address@hidden> a écrit :
>
>> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>>

>> Envoyé de mon iPhone

>>> ## Try this:
>>>
>>> print( g + geom_histogram(aes(y=..density..)) ) # before rm(g).

>>> That commit introduced a tryCatch() wrapper for graphics results.
>>>
>>> You probably know that ggplot (or ggplot2) relies on printing of objects to
>>> produce graphics (see R-FAQ 7.22).
>>>
>>> tryCatch(expr,...) evaluates expr and returns its value, which is `rm(g)'
>>> in your case. But `rm(g)' is not autoprinted, and you get an empty file.
>>
>> I am not in front of my computer but there must be more, as even before the
>> commit there should have been empty file for exactly the same reason.
>
> `:results output' will return the autoprinted values. Without tryCatch it
> works.
>

>> Also, the error is strange. Could you send a small reproducable example, so
>> that we can see which error you get? Because if you get an error and an
>> empty file, an error must be in the tryCatcb block.
>
> Here are two blocks that differ in using tryCatch. The first produces an
> empty, malformed pdf. The second produces a valid pdf. If you comment out the
> `invisible()' line in the first, then both will produce similar valid pdf's.
>
> #+header: :file nada.pdf
> #+header: :results output graphics
> #+header: :width 4 :height 3
> #+begin_src R
>  require(ggplot2)
>  df <-
>      data.frame(gp = factor(rep(letters[1:3], each = 10)),
>                 y = rnorm(30))
>  ggplot(df, aes(x = gp, y = y)) + geom_point()
>  invisible()
> #+end_src
>

> #+BEGIN_SRC R :results output
>  require(ggplot2)
>  pdf(file="aok.pdf",width=4,height=3)
>  df <-
>      data.frame(gp = factor(rep(letters[1:3], each = 10)),
>                 y = rnorm(30))
>  ggplot(df, aes(x = gp, y = y)) + geom_point()
>  invisible()
>  dev.off()
> #+END_SRC

Sorry I overlooked the :results output graphic header.

This combination is, as far as I can see (holiday, sun, no notebook, org or R)
not recommended as it will lead to invalid files.
Should it actually be valid? I would say these two options contradict each
other, as output returns the output from the session ( terminal ) which is not
a graphic.
Possible a candidate for the new linting library for org, to mark it as an
invalid argument combination

Cheers,

Rainer