Re: [O] [bug, org] footnote-action broken with narrowed buffer

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [bug, org] footnote-action broken with narrowed buffer
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 01:43:14 +0200

>> Would it make sense to allow this to hook into org-footnote-action?
>
> What do you mean by hooking it into `org-footnote-action'? To replace
> default action with this?

To have a defcustom that let you choose preferred method.  Whether the
default should be changed I don't know.

> This is not possible ATM because it doesn't handle inline footnotes at
> all (this requires some work in "org-src.el", since
> `org-src--edit-element' wasn't designed to edit inline objects), and,

There's no need IMO.  ATM it moves to the second colon and I don't see
other logical ways to handle it.

> as you noticed it doesn't allow to create footnotes either (though this
> one is trivial to fix).

Would be great.

> Also, jumping to a footnote may still be useful, e.g. with nested
> footnotes. It is symmetric, too.

Of course.  But in particular when editing it may be useful to have a view
like this where you can see both the main text and the fn buffer:

|--------|
| main   |
| buf    |
|--------|
| fn buf |
|--------|

> However, interestingly, if both behaviours become mostly equivalent, we
> have first-class key bindings to choose from: "C-c C-o", "C-c '", "C-c
> C-c".

C-c C-c would then depend on a defcustom, I guess.  At least it's a pity
if C-c C-c only works in some cases, e.g. "if not narrowed".

>> Note that new footnotes currently break the narrow, which is pretty
>> annoying.
>
> I know. This is bad, indeed.

OK.

Rasmus