Re: [O] Marking/highlighting text temporarily

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Marking/highlighting text temporarily
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 15:32:59 -0400

Eric Abrahamsen writes:

> John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> I added some functions in the attachment. they colorize the comments,
>> add an org-comment menu to the org-menu, and some functions for pop to
>> and delete comments from the list mode, and a hydra for commands to
>> insert comments. Do you want to get this up on github to facilitate
>> developing it?
>
> Oh great! Thanks a lot. We are duplicating effort a bit here (but only a
> bit, I'd also written display/delete functions for the list buffer), so
> yes, it would be good to coordinate development.
>
> I suppose it depends a bit on where this is going to end up: I'm
> assuming either org/contrib/lisp, or else as an Elpa package. I don't
> see much difference, except in terms of accessibility to contributors --
> I don't have access to the Org repo, but putting it there might get more
> contributors on balance. As a package only I would have direct access.
> What do you think?

I think on github you can give others direct access, or respond to pull
requests. Either way works.

> The hydra thing is interesting -- I wasn't aware of that package. Better
> not to require it unconditionally though, right?

You could make this conditional if hydra is installed. It is
sufficiently simple that you could leave it out too.

> Thanks,
> Eric
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen writes:
>>
>>> Eric Abrahamsen

>>> Okay, this is as far as I got today. I changed some behavior from John's
>>> implementation: when following the links, it seemed like displaying the
>>> comment text would be more useful than deleting it -- I think many of us
>>> have "delete-org-link" functions lying around. I also couldn't get the
>>> add-comment thing to work, as it complained when there was no region, so
>>> I changed how that works.
>>>
>>> Lastly, I spent most of my time learning how tabular list mode works,
>>> and haven't actually tested the export. Will save that for tomorrow.
>>> Otherwise, here's the introduction from the Commentary. Comments and
>>> suggestions very welcome!
>>>

>>> Provides a new link type for Org that allows you to create comments
>>> on arbitrary chunks of text.  The link prefix is "comment:".
>>>
>>> Add comments with `org-comment-add-comment'.  Following the link
>>> will display the text of the comment in a pop-up buffer.  The
>>> buffer is in special-mode, hit "q" to dismiss it.
>>>
>>> Call `org-comment-display-comments' to see all comments in a buffer.
>>>
>>> See the `org-comment-[backend]-export-style' options for ways to
>>> format comments in export.
>>>
>>> TODO:
>>>
>>> 1. Better export customization options.
>>> 2. What does the ODT comment XML look like?
>>> 3. More functions in the display comment buffer: copy as
>>> kill... what else?