Re: [O] Status of MobileOrg on IOS??

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: [O] Status of MobileOrg on IOS??
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 20:28:59 -0700

John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 11:43 AM, David Masterson <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I've asked this before and I'll probably continue asking as I move in
>> and out of using it, but...
>>
>> What's the development status of MobileOrg -- particularly on IOS?  From
>> what I see, it appears that development is stalled.  My attempts at
>> trying to use it show the following:
>>
>> * It seems to work even on my iPhone 6 as far as it goes

But will it be going further?  For instance, a Siri interface would be
really nice (or a general such interface by which a Siri interface could
be built).

>> * It only seems to support basic viewing and minimal editting
>
> What would you expect/like?

I can't (for instance) figure out how to add new items to my outlines
(both new items and subitems).

>> * The documentation is minimal with few use-case examples
>
> What topics would you like more information about, and can you provide
> a use-case you need assistance with?

A walkthrough on:

1. Why you would want to "push".
2. What exactly happens when you "push".
3. How MobileOrg "sees" what has been pushed.
4. Sync issues that might occur in the push.
5. Why you would want to "pull".
6. What exactly happens when you "pull".
7. Sync issues that might occur in the pull.
8. Safety approaches for #4 and #7.

Give a detailed, but high-level, example to ground the above topics.

>> Who is running MobileOrg and what's its status?
>
> - Who: http://mobileorg.ncogni.to/support/
> https://github.com/mobileorg/mobileorg
>
> Regarding all of the questions above, I'd contact the app developers,
> as it seems your inquiries relate to phone usage, not anything on the
> Org side. From looking at ~/org.git/list/org-mobile.el, Carsten wrote
> the tool from the Org-mode side. But again, all of your questions
> about inquiries or wishes about the app, which I don't think we can
> help with.
>
> From skimming the mobileorg github site, it doesn't look like anyone's
> really "running" it. Their most recent push appears to have been a
> year ago.

And that makes it hard to "contact the app developers".  I'm not (yet)
doing detailed work on it, so I don't want to push them until I have
something strong to say.  I post my general questions here on the
assumption that this is the most likely central point that one (or more)
people using/developing MobileOrg would see and maybe interest would
perk up.

--
David Masterson
Programmer At Large