Re: [O] [Bug] ~Verbatim~ in headlines breaks LaTeX

From: Titus von der Malsburg
Subject: Re: [O] [Bug] ~Verbatim~ in headlines breaks LaTeX
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 22:18:02 -0700

On 2015-05-29 Fri 21:32, Nick Dokos wrote:
> Titus von der Malsburg <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
>> * The variable ~JAVA_HOME~
>> &
>> #+END_EXAMPLE
>>
>> Exporting this to LaTeX and then compiling to PDF, produces the
>> following error:
>>
>>   ! Missing $ inserted.
>>   <inserted text>
>>                   $
>>   l.35 \section{The variable \verb~JAVA_HOME~}
>>
>> Apparently, \verb is not allow in command arguments:
>>
>>   http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=verbwithin
>>
>> One solution is uses \cprotect:
>>
>>   \cprotect\section{The variable \verb~JAVA_HOME~}
>>
>> I don’t know how the exporter works but I wouldn’t be surprised if it
>> wasn’t entirely trivial to implement this.
>>
>> The problem also exists in other situations where ~verbatim~ is used in
>> embedded contexts, for example when used in link descriptions:
>>
>>   [[https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=JAVA_HOME][Google
>>   ~JAVA_HOME~]]
>>
>> Is there anything that speaks against using \texttt for ~verbatim~?  The
>> HTML exporter uses the code tag for ~verbatim~ and =code=.
>>
>>   Titus
>
> I don't know what \cprotect does but there was a discussion of this a
> long time ago:
>
>     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/14256/focus=14257
>
> and back then, Carsten changed it so that verbatim in headlines used
> \texttt - but that was the old latex exporter: I take it things are
> different now?

Yes, I saw this thread after sending the previous email.  According to
`org-latex-text-markup-alist', protectedtexttt should be used, which
seems like a good-enough solution for this problem.  But for some reason
that doesn’t happen.

BTW, I used the latest development versions of Emacs (-Q) and Org-mode
to test this.

  Titus