Re: [O] Bug: Inlinetask at end of paragraph causes two paragraphs to mer

From: myq larson
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Inlinetask at end of paragraph causes two paragraphs to merge [8.2.10 (8.2.10-41-g42228a-elpaplus @ /home/myq/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20150601/)]
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 23:44:35 -0600

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 4:19 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> myq larson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> If there is an inline task at the end of a paragraph, when the document
>> is exported with the =inlinetask= option set to =nil=, the space after
>> the inline task and before the next paragraph will be ignored and the
>> two paragraphs will combine as one.
>>
>> For example, this document
>>
>> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
>>
>>   * title
>>
>>     Here is some text which should not be cut by an inline task because
>>     it should respect the linebreaks and understand when a new paragraph
>>     starts.
>>   *************** TODO Fix this
>>   It's not good, so fix this.
>>   *************** END
>>     I think this is the right way to go. But there are some challenges.
>>   *************** TODO This could be better
>>   *************** END
>>

>>     Another problem is that there is no way to fix the problem.
>> #+END_EXAMPLE
>>
>> Exports as:
>>
>> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
>>   ______
>>
>>    TEST
>>
>>     me
>>   ______
>>

>>   1 title
>>   =======
>>
>>     Here is some text which should not be cut by an inline task because it
>>     should respect the linebreaks and understand when a new paragraph
>>     starts.
>>     I think this is the right way to go. But there are some challenges.
>>     Another problem is that there is no way to fix the problem.
>> #+END_EXAMPLE
>>
>> I think there should be two paragraphs. Ideally, the first paragraph
>> should refill as well.
>
> There are two paragraphs, albeit not separated by an empty line. The
> behaviour is correct here.

Hi Nicolas,

Using that definition though, there are probably three paragraphs. I choose
ASCII export as the easiest example to show in email, but exporting to
LaTeX shows the problem more clearly. There will not be two new lines
which means the two paragraphs will be interpreted as a single
paragraph. I believe the above ASCII example will be interpreted as a
single paragraph by most readers as well.

Exporting to Org mode gives the following:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE

  ,* title

  Here is some text which should not be cut by an inline task because
  it should respect the linebreaks and understand when a new paragraph
  starts.
  I think this is the right way to go. But there are some challenges.
  Another problem is that there is no way to fix the problem.
#+END_EXAMPLE

I'm pretty sure that's not how Org mode defines two paragraphs though.
As a work around, I just avoid putting inline comments at the end of
paragraphs.

Thank you for your help,

Cheers,

Myq