Re: [O] Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)?

From: Xebar Saram
Subject: Re: [O] Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 08:13:44 +0300

Dear Martin

Thanks so much for your prompt response. I did ofc do an extensive google research yet found that as can be seen in your link most entries focus on either writing papers or general bits an pieces .What i am looking for is a holistic approach regarding organizing all aspects of academic life and to hear workflows of other colleagues using org for that

thanks again , looking forward to hearing from other colleagues in the orgmode community

best

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 12:16 AM, M <address@hidden> wrote:

> Von: Xebar Saram <address@hidden>
> Datum: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 19:39:14 +0300
> An: org mode <address@hidden>
> Betreff: [O] Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)?
> Tips or a good guides sought after :)
>
> Hi all
>
> Im a young assistant professor (in humanities and thus my horrific coding
> skills..basically non ;-)) and having been using orgmode for a year or two
> now. I love orgmode dearly and use it mainly for note taking, lists etc
>
> I am aware of the fantastic orgmode capabilities that could benefit me greatly
> such as exporting, email tie-ins, beamer support, organizing my bibliography
> (i have switched to a .bib file recently for my references), agenda
> capabilities and so much moreand have tried several of these with mild
> success.
>
> unfortunately (and this maybe due to me not being very technical and lack of
> coding skills) i still feel like im really not using orgmode to its potential
> and still feel miserably lost in terms of organizing my work in academia from
> all aspects.
>
> i am looking for 2 things really:
> 1. as i said in the post topic a good guide if anyone is aware of or detailed
> examples of using org in Academia (mainly aimed at faculty :))
>
> 2. related to that as a young researcher with multiple students, paper
> writing, grant applications, department duties, endless TODOS, endless email i
> would really be grateful for even non org specific tips on how other people
> organize all this to make life more..well..organized :)
>
> thanks alot in advance and sorry for the long mail
>
> best

Dear Xebar,

I think the first 10 results of the correspondindg google search already
show some very interesting examples:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=emacs+org-mode+in+resear
ch&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Did you have a look at those?