Re: [O] Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)?

From: Holger Wenzel
Subject: Re: [O] Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty viewpoint)? Tips or a good guides sought after :)
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 07:00:46 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Xebar,

Xebar Saram <zeltakc <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Martin
> Thanks so much for your prompt response. I did ofc do an extensive google
research yet found that as can be seen in your link most entries focus on
either writing papers or general bits an pieces .What i am looking for is a
holistic approach regarding organizing all aspects of academic life and to
hear workflows of other colleagues using org for that

I'd start with:

http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/08/08/What-we-are-using-org-
mode-for/

follow John Kitchin's blog there closely and read everything he posts in
this list.

Cheers,

Holger

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 12:16 AM, M <Elwood151 <at> web.de> wrote:
> >

> > Von: Xebar Saram <zeltakc <at> gmail.com>
> > Datum: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 19:39:14 +0300
> > An: org mode <emacs-orgmode <at> gnu.org>
> > Betreff: [O] Organizing and taming hectic Academia work (faculty
viewpoint)?
> > Tips or a good guides sought after :)
> >> Hi all
> >
> > Im a young assistant professor (in humanities and thus my horrific
coding
> > skills..basically non ) and having been using orgmode for a year or two
> > now. I love orgmode dearly and use it mainly for note taking, lists etc
> >
> > I am aware of the fantastic orgmode capabilities that could benefit me
greatly
> > such as exporting, email tie-ins, beamer support, organizing my
bibliography
> > (i have switched to a .bib file recently for my references), agenda
> > capabilities and so much moreand have tried several of these with mild
> > success.
> >
> > unfortunately (and this maybe due to me not being very technical and
lack of
> > coding skills) i still feel like im really not using orgmode to its
potential
> > and still feel miserably lost in terms of organizing my work in academia
from
> > all aspects.
> >
> > i am looking for 2 things really:
> > 1. as i said in the post topic a good guide if anyone is aware of or
detailed
> > examples of using org in Academia (mainly aimed at faculty :))
> >
> > 2. related to that as a young researcher with multiple students, paper
> > writing, grant applications, department duties, endless TODOS, endless
email i
> > would really be grateful for even non org specific tips on how other
people
> > organize all this to make life more..well..organized :)
> >
> > thanks alot in advance and sorry for the long mail
> >
> > best

> Dear Xebar,
> I think the first 10 results of the correspondindg google search already
> show some very interesting examples:http://www.google.com/search?
client=safari&rls=en&q=emacs+org-mode+in+resear