Re: [O] Custom column environment in beamer export

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Custom column environment in beamer export
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 11:42:34 +0200

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 12:30:09AM +0200, Rasmus wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > * Fitting technique                                  :B_minipage:
> >   :PROPERTIES:
> >   :BEAMER_env: minipage
> >   :BEAMER_arg: 0.1\linewidth
> >   :END:
> > +/cFit/+
>
> The closest would probably be something like
>
> (add-to-list 'org-beamer-environments-extra
>              '("minipage"
>                "m"
>                "\\begin{minipage}%o%a\n\\structure{%h}"
>                "\\end{minipage}"))
>
> Which would afford you something like
>
> * slide
> ** Fitting technique                                            :B_minipage:
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :BEAMER_env: minipage
>   :BEAMER_OPT: [t]{0.1\linewidth}
>   :BEAMER_ACT: <5>
>   :END:
>   /cFit/

Well, I would rather keep the formatting in the org file, so no
\structure in the template.  But otherwise your suggestion seems exactly
what I need :).

> Unfortunately, BEAMER_OPTs are wrapped in square brackets thanks to
> org-beamer--normalize-argument, so the above won't actually work (see
> org-beamer--format-block).  From the looks of it I'd be willing to call it
> a bug, but Nicolas may have had something in mind.

I was thinking the same.  That's why I felt the need for the old
BEAMER_arg property!

> Perhaps these days it would be nice to allow the third element of
> org-beamer-environments-extra to be a λ taking either the object or so.
> Then again, perhaps this is an overkill and too low-level.

This might be nice, but as you say could be overkill.  Although, there
are a few other cases which is harder to use with the current syntax.
Take minipage as an example, it takes 3 optional arguments[1].
Presently there is no way of dealing with something like that.  Removing
the autowrapping of brackets would allow such cases, but it would
probably break a few Org files in the wild.  From that perspective, a
lambda might be the way to go.

> Personally, I'd use a block, e.g.
>
> #+attr_latex: :options [t]{.1\textwidth}
> #+begin_minipage
> Cfit
> #+end_minipage

Nice idea.  I have never really explored using blocks (other than for
raw latex), maybe I should ...

Thanks,

Footnotes:

[1] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Boxes#minipage_and_parbox